The USC Small Business Diversity Office (USC SBDO) commitment to diversity includes promoting the use of small local and diverse suppliers in the university’s procurement activities through:
- General purchases
- Sourcing contracts
- Capital construction and facilities projects
Furthermore, USC SBDO fosters economic growth in Los Angeles and southern California through use of minority-, women-, and veteran-owned businesses, as well as small local businesses within 26 targeted zip codes surrounding USC’s campuses. USC SBDO also advocates for maximum inclusion of small diverse businesses with government subcontract plans for USC research units.
Mission, initiatives and goals
USC SBDO’s mission is to provide professional, responsive and quality services to support the university’s academic, research, social and economic goals. Its vision is to surpass USC’s goal to make 15% of all purchases—regardless of funding source—from small certified veteran, women, minority and small local community businesses.
Services for USC departments
USC SBDO provides many services for USC departments. For example, for federal and state contracts, USC SBDO:
- Prepares and administers the university master plan for small government subcontract plans in compliance with the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FARs), and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations (DFARs);
- Provides and administers small business individual subcontract plans ISPGs for university research projects;
- Administers the submission of small diverse supplier compliance reports to applicable government funding agencies and USC Contracts and Grants; and
- Provides annual monitoring of university research units’ small business subcontract plans for diversity inclusion and spend compliance.
- Maintains a database of certified diverse small businesses for inclusion in university subcontract research projects.
USC Local Vendor Program
Since utilizing small local suppliers contributes to USC’s diverse supplier spend goal, the university promotes the use of small businesses located in 26 targeted zip codes surrounding the University Park, Health Sciences, Alhambra and Marina del Rey campuses:
The supplier classifications below—with the exception of Minority Owned Large Business (MOLB), and Woman Owned Large Business (WOLB)—contribute to USC’s 15% diverse supplier spend goal; classifications with a “Yes” designation contribute to diverse supplier goals set forth in federal and/or state contracts. For a complete description of supplier classifications, refer to USC Supplier Portal Diverse Supplier Classifications (see Related Documents, right).
|Code||Description||Certification Requirements||Qualifies for Federal or State Contract Goals|
|MOLB||Minority Owned Large Business||Self-identified||No|
|MOSB||Minority Owned Small Business||Self-identified||Yes|
|PHY||Physically Challenged Business||Self-identified||No|
|WOLB||Woman Owned Large Business||Self-identified||No|
|WOSB/EDWOSB||Women Owned [Economically Disadvantaged] Small Business||Certified by SBA||Yes|
|HBCU/MI||Historically Black College/ University and Minority Institution||Self-identified||Yes|
|ANC||Alaska Native Corporation||Self-identified||Yes|
|SDB||Small Disadvantaged Business||Self-identified||Yes|
|8(A)||Certified Business Development Program||Certified by SBA||Yes|
|HUBZone||Historically Underutilized Business||Certified by SBA||Yes|
|CDVBE||California Disabled Veteran Business Enterprise||Certified by State of California||Yes|
|VOSB||Veteran Owned Small Business||Self-identified||Yes|
|SDVOSB||Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business||Self-identified||Yes|
Supplier certification resources
- Department of General Services (DGS)
- Los Angeles Mayors Office Bureau of Contract Administration
- U.S. Department of Education List of Historically Black Colleges and Universities
- U.S. Department of Education List of Minority Institutions
- U.S. Small Business Administration – LADO, CA
- Environmental Protection Agency
- Southern California Minority Supplier Development Council
- U.S. Federal Contractor Registration (SAM) (U. S. Federal Contract Registry)
The following organizations offer resources and services to business owners:
Rhonda Thornton-Crawford, PhD
Administrator and Small Business Liaison Officer
Let’s talk diversity! USC SBDO virtual office hours
USC SBDO offers virtual office hours every Wednesday afternoon from 2:00pm to 3:00pm via Zoom (Passcode: DIVERSITY). Feel free to drop in with questions and connect with the staff.